Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Lincoln & Rapid City

My busy travel schedule has begun!

At the end of January, I traveld to Lincoln, Nebraska to a PRCA Rodeo in Pershing Auditorium produced by Mossbruckers of North Dakota. Holly Soucie, the Iowa High School Rodeo Queen, lives just outside of Lincoln, and she joined me for the fun of running sponsor flags and clearing the arena. Holly supplied the horses and we had a GREAT time--minus the cold weather. However, we were very thankful for Cary Veach's ability to make a durable, flashy, and warm pair of chaps to keep our legs from going numb!

Kyle Whitaker, 5-time Linderman Award Winner (the highest money earner winning a minimum of $1,000 in both a timed and roughstock event), competed on his home state turf in Pershing, and rodeo clown Bert Davis kept everyone entertained with his high-energy and amazing dog training ability. Bert and the "Motley Crew" which consists of about 5 different dogs that he has rescued from humane societies, wowed audiences with their amazing tricks.

The next weekend I sprouted wings and flew to Rapid City, South Dakota for the Black Hills Stock Show and Rodeo hosted by the Sutton Rodeo Company of Onida, South Dakota. The Suttons had many appearances scheduled for 11 other state queens and myself. Unfortunately, my flight got delayed on Friday so I missed the afternoon performance, but I was able to help run sponsor flags on Friday evening, Saturday afternoon, and Saturday evening . The horses were great, and we even got to go out in the arena and be introduced in front of everyone.

On Saturday morning we went to the Veterens Hospital in Sturgis, South Dakota (no motorcycles in sight yet). It was fun to talk to the patients and we signed many autographs and took a lot of fun pictures. After the hospital visit we headed to the Watiki Water Park Grand Opening. The other queens and I were jealous of this indoor water park because of the two large curving water slides! We signed autographs for guests staying at the motel attached to the water park and even got to be on t.v.!

The rodeos were awesome, and the Suttons were very kind and accommodating. I am not ready to move to South Dakota because the wind blows a little much for my liking, but I would like to go back to see Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse. I had to fly back home before the other queens went to visit the rock statues, so I was a little disappointed. However, during the stay I got to know many of the other state queens and had a lot of fun spending time with them. We are going to have a great year together!

Sorry I don't have any pictures up--I will post them soon! Until then, take care, and thank you for checking up on me!