Monday, March 12, 2007

Fun from Burlington to Omaha!


I'm just gettting caught up from a fun-filled weekend that started in Burlington, Iowa at the Extreme Bullriding "Snowbull" Tour event and ended at the St. Patrick's Day Parade in Omaha, Nebraska. I apologize in advance that I will not be able to put pictures up with this entry until I get back from the Dodge National Circuit Finals in Pocatello, Idaho because I fly out tomorrow morning.

I spent Thursday evening overlooking the Mississippi River at the Memorial Auditorium during Snowbull. The committee was great to work with, and the Extreme Bullriding Tour Production Team was very welcoming to Miss Rodeo Illinois, Kelsea Walker, and me. We were introduced in the opening, got to be present when the tour trophy saddle was given to the first runner-up, and signed autographs after the event. Friday morning, three third grade classes came to the auditorium for a "field trip" to meet the rodeo clowns, Kelsea and me, and to learn about bullriding. It was a great time getting to talk to the kids, but they made me feel old and out-dated because many of them had their OWN CELL PHONES! Wow!

Friday afternoon I headed west across the state toward Clarinda to prepare for my second appearance of the weekned. I was not ready to leave Burlington because I was having such a great time with Kelsea and the Snowbull Committee, but when I arrived in Omaha for the parade, I was instantly energized: my horse (yes, the crazy one that ran me into a pole a few weeks ago) and I LOVE parades! It was estimated that 15,000 people were in attendance that gorgeous, sun-shiny day! It was fun to ride through the Nebraskan streets promoting Iowa; however, I was happy to see at least ONE Iowa State ball cap in the crowd, so I did not feel so alone!

Tomorrow I will return to Omaha, again, except this time I will be parking the Impala at the airport while I head to Idaho. There will be at least 15 other state queens in attendance for the 5-day event, so it will be fun to spend quality time with the girls promoting our states! I will be sure to write and put up many pictures when I get back!