Saturday, November 25, 2006

Viva Las Vegas!

My fingers can hardly keep up with the excitement that is pulsing through my veins . . . I AM IN LAS VEGAS! As the plane touched down I had Paula by the right knee and Bobbie by the left knee as I was singing "Viva Las Vegas" (though I only know the chorus . . .) through the biggest smile my face would hold. Amidst all of the excitement, my yearning to see the lights and sights of the "Vegas Nightlife," I feel very fortunate to be here. Lucky me, I get to spend 10 fun-filled days chaperoned by 3 spectacular ladies, one of which we do not see much because she is busily and dilligently working with the Miss Rodeo America Committee to keep the pageant flowing and the daily blogs about the pageant updated. I fondly refer to her as "queen boss" or "your Majesty" (otherwise known as Bobbie Hinds my national director). My second compadre for the trip is Paula Jameson, the teen queen coordinator, and rounding out the "Majestic 3" is Jessie Kokjohn, the Miss Rodeo Iowa pageant coordinator. I have a lot to learn while I am out here . . . and I have no doubts in my mind they will steer me down the right path.

This morning I watched 28 beautiful, practiced, and poised state representatives check in to the 2007 Miss Rodeo America Pageant. Through the glazed look in my eye and permanent smile of awe . . . I was slightly overwhelmed to think that next year that will be me! Though I am a little apprehensive, I am more excited to think how much I will change, mature, and experience in the next 12 months. The rest of the afternoon was filled with perusing through the Miss Rodeo America hospitality room looking through the contestants' leather and rhinestone-clad scrapbooks, doing some shopping, and trying to absorb everything!

Tomorrow is a free day for us, however, the contestants will be interviewing with a panel of judges who have credential lists many miles long (I hope I will be ready for that next year)! Paula and I will be taking in "Cavalia" while Bobbie and Jessie take in the spa (or most likely nap). "Cavalia" is a precision equine and human acrobat and dance act . . . I am really excited to see it! Speaking of shows, I have been mesmerized by the advertisements for the Phantom of the Opera, so I hope that will be on the agenda before I leave.

With that, I leave you with the words of the flight attendant as we were exiting the plane . . . "What happens in Vegas . . . will wind up on the internet." I will check in with you in a few days to share with you more of my exciting adventures with the "Majestic 3" as we viva Las Vegas!

--Amanda